PEI Mussels in Greek Bruschetta by Chef Krista MacQuarrie served at Saltscapes Expo 2013
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions - sauté until the onions have softened.
2. Add in the white wine and mussels and steam 6-8 minutes or until the mussels have all opened.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mussels from the cooking liquid and allow them to cool. Remove the PEI mussel meat from the shells and chill. Discard the shells.
4. Continue to heat the cooking liquid until it has reduced down to about 3-4 tablespoons. Add in the peppers, garlic and chili flakes and cook over medium heat until the peppers have softened, approximately 8-10 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato paste and juice of ½ a lemon; continue to cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and chill.
6. Once all of the ingredients have chilled, combine them into one bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss together until well mixed. Season this mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Scoop bruschetta mix on top of crostini and serve.